CALL FOR APPLICATIONS for KEY PARTNERS
“Balkan Media Assistance Program” (BMAP)
Bosnia and Herzegovina-Kosovo-Macedonia-Montenegro-Serbia
Deadline: January 12, 2018
Open to: Media outlets from BiH, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia
The “Balkan Media Assistance Program” (BMAP) project is funded by USAID and implemented by Internews. Through the project, Internews will help media outlets from Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia to improve the quality of their content, diversify news formats, strengthen their financial viability, and better engage their audiences, especially digitally.
Two media outlets per country will be selected for a three-year period assistance program, including differentiated grant opportunities, advancing solutions in the digital space, evaluated through annual milestone assessments conducted by Internews staff and consultants as well as ongoing monitoring. Ongoing coaching and mentoring will be provided by editorial and management consultants working regularly with management and staff in-house at each selected outlet to support progress toward individualized targets and goals. The media outlets selected to receive assistance will be expected to actively participate in BMAP trainings, provide time and space for the editorial, technical and management consultants.
Grants may support production and distribution of multiplatform content (including technical upgrades), introduction of innovative story formats, and coverage of political, economic, and social issues that promote independent reporting, democratic progress and gender equality.
In order to be considered eligible to apply, applicants must fulfill the following criteria:
- Be a locally registered media organization in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, or Serbia
- Independent editorial policy (as evidenced by external assessment)
- Proven dedication to professional, ethical journalism (as evidenced by media monitoring reports where possible)
Applications will be reviewed and evaluated by a technical committee (composed of media experts and donor representatives) on a range of selection criteria including:
- A proven track record of editorial independence (supported by monitoring reports of local and international organizations);
- Demonstrated commitment to upholding professional journalistic standards and ethics;
- At least basic technological and technical skills and capacity for producing multimedia digital content;
- Capacity and willingness to receive and responsibly absorb support;
- Linkages with other relevant content producers in the region or active participation in regional networks, or demonstrated plans to spread coverage beyond local/national audiences;
- Adopted and implemented development/business plans or commitment to take an active part in developing and implementing a business plan;
- Potential for future development;
- Willingness to invest their own resources into content production and audience reach
Applicants should make sure to address these points in their application materials.
Application(s) must meet the following requirements:
- Motivation letter outlining reasons for application
- Capacity statement, including human and technical resources allocated for the project
- Strategic/ organizational plan for the media outlet (if available), otherwise a statement outlining the goals of the outlet over the next three years
Application Submission Instruction
All interested outlets are encouraged to submit their application electronically to the following e-mail address: BMAP@internews.org with “BMAP – KEY PARTNER” in the subject line, until January 12, 2018, 18:00h.