Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy Podgorica, Montenegro (February 9, 2022)
Location: Podgorica, Montenegro
Event: A sizable demonstration is scheduled to take place in today, February 9th, in Podgorica in front of the Hram Hristovog Vaskrsenja around 1800. Road closures and a significant police presence are expected, though the protest is projected to remain peaceful.
Demonstrations within Podgorica, and Montenegro in general, have the potential to become a more frequent occurrence. While recent protests have remained peaceful, road closures combined with the increased police presence can impede travel. As with any demonstration, the possibility of violence and increased tensions is possible.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Monitor local media for updates
- Keep a low profile.
U.S. Embassy Podgorica, Montenegro
- Telephone: +382 (0)20 410 500
- Email: PodgoricaACS@state.gov
- Website: https://me.usembassy.gov/
State Department – Consular Affairs
- Telephone: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Montenegro Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook