Demonstration Alert – U. S. Embassy Podgorica, Montenegro (December 30, 2019)
Location: Montenegro, Podgorica
During the upcoming new year’s and Orthodox holidays, demonstrations against a newly enacted religious freedom law may take place at anytime and anywhere in Montenegro without prior announcement. We as a result expect random road closures and a significant police presence in Podgorica and elsewhere. While the vast majority of protestors will likely remain peaceful, there is potential for confrontation and even violence during this time of the year.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Podgorica, Montenegro
Telephone: +382 (0)20 410 500
- State Department – Consular Affairs
Telephone: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Montenegro Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook.