A planned demonstration, protesting the United States’ announcement regarding Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, is scheduled to occur on Friday, December 15, 2017 at 13:00 on the Union Bridge, approximately one-quarter mile from the U.S. Embassy. During the course of the demonstration demonstrators may march towards and congregate at the embassy. A significant police presence can be expected.
U.S. Embassy Podgorica reminds U.S. citizens of the need for caution and awareness of personal security. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news stations for updates. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Montenegro Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Montenegro, located at Dzona Dzeksona 2, at +382 20 410 500, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is ++382 20 410 500.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.