U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
Office of the Spokesperson
October 4, 2019
Strengthening Our Alliance with Montenegro
“During 13 years of independence, Montenegro has made important progress in its integration into the Euro-Atlantic community. Your historic admission to NATO in 2017 has further strengthened a strong partnership between our two countries and I warmly welcome your continued contribution to regional and global security.”
– President Donald J. Trump, July 11, 2019
Secretary Pompeo will travel to Podgorica, Montenegro, on October 4, where he will meet with President Djukanovic, Prime Minister Markovic, and Foreign Minister Darmanovic to discuss our strong bilateral relationship and ways to broaden and deepen our economic and security ties.
THE UNITED STATES AND MONTENEGRO ARE CLOSE PARTNERS AND ALLIES:
- Montenegro is an Ally, partner, and friend. Since Montenegro regained independence in 2006, the United States has strongly supported its aspirations for integration into Euro-Atlantic institutions as a stable, prosperous, inclusive democracy.
- The United States has a long tradition of support for Montenegro, dating back to before World War I.
- Our goals align with the aspirations of the people of Montenegro and their government. We want what they want—a more secure, prosperous, and democratic future for Montenegro, fully anchored in Western institutions and values.
- Montenegro’s contributions to NATO over the past ten years have bolstered regional and global security. Its 2017 accession to NATO as the Alliance’s 29th Ally has further deepened Montenegro’s strong partnership with the United States.
- The United States commends the Montenegrin soldiers serving side by side with us in Afghanistan, Latvia, and Kosovo, and welcomes Montenegro’s commitment to send troops to Iraq by year’s end.
- Montenegro’s high per capita contributions to NATO operations are welcomed. It has a credible plan in place to reach the NATO 2%/20% Wales defense spending commitment by 2024.
WE WORK ON STRENGTHENING OUR SHARED VALUES AND FIGHT BACK AGAINST MALIGN INFLUENCE:
- The United States supports Montenegro’s ongoing reform efforts to stamp out corruption, strengthen the rule of law, protect media freedom, and accede to the European Union.
- Each year, the United States allocates millions of dollars for programs to help modernize Montenegro’s military, increase institutional capacity to tackle corruption, and strengthen capabilities to fight organized crime.
- Through educational exchanges, cultural programs, and American Corners in Podgorica, Cetinje, and Pljevlja, we are further deepening our people-to-people relationships.
- The United States stands with Montenegro as it pushes back on persistent Russian attempts to hinder its progress toward Euro-Atlantic integration.
- The United States appreciates Montenegro’s solidarity in joining in the U.S. and EU sanctions against Russia.