Marriage in Montenegro

U.S. citizens wishing to get married in Montenegro should contact the Office of the Civil Registry of the Municipality in which they wish to get married in order to obtain information regarding all necessary documentation.

The Office of the Civil Registry in Montenegro usually requires a document that shows that U.S.  Citizen is free to marry in order to allow him or her to get married in Montenegro.  Because no such document is issued in the United States, those who wish to get married in Montenegro should make an appointment with our Consular Section in Podgorica to complete the “Free to Marry” statement which is both in Montenegrin and English language and requires notarization.  This document is a sworn statement in which you are confirming your status in the U.S. (Single, Divorce or Widower).

The fee for this service is $50 dollars or the Euro equivalent; the fee can be paid in cash or by credit card, at the time of your appointment.

In order for us to be able to notarize this document, you will need to schedule an appointment by sending an email to with a notary request and your full name. Once you arrive for your appointment you will need to show your government issued ID and sign the form in front of the Consular Officer.

*** Please note that Immigrant Visas for Montenegrin citizens are currently being processed in our Consular Section in Belgrade, Serbia.