Notarial Services

Consular Officers at U.S. Embassies and Consulates overseas are empowered to perform notarial services that are recognized in the United States. We offer notarial services to U.S. citizens, and to non-U.S. citizens for transactions that have some connection to the United States, for example if a Montenegrin citizen wishes to purchase or sell a house in the United States.

For us to be able to notarize your documents, you must: 

Bring a government-issued photo ID, e.g. a passport;

Bring and understand your document, as we are not allowed to explain the contents to you; we will ask you to summarize the contents and intent of the document; if you are unable to demonstrate that you understand the document, then we must refuse to perform the requested notarial service.  Please note that we are prohibited from drafting or preparing legal documents for you. We can only serve as the notary.

Have filled in the document with the appropriate names, places and dates applicable to you, but do not sign it; you will sign it at the Embassy in front of the Consular Officer.

Schedule an appointment; Please let us know when you are ready by sending us an email to  with service type in subject line and your full name in body of an email and we will schedule an appointment for you. If your document requires a witness(es), please bring the witness(es) with you. Witnesses must also bring a photo ID. Embassy staff members are prohibited from serving as witnesses for your documents.


Please see current Consular Fees and methods of payment


Types of Notarial 

A certified copy is a copy (often a photocopy) of a primary document, that has on it a stamp, endorsement or certificate that it is a true copy of the primary document.

*Please bring the original document with you.

An Acknowledgement of Execution is used for legal agreements, deeds, powers of attorney, bills of sale, business documents, corporate acknowledgements, etc. for use in the United States.

An Affidavit is a sworn statement, made by you. Write out the statement you wish to make, but do not sign the form before you arrive at the Embassy.

We cannot authenticate U.S. documents such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, divorce decrees, death certificates, etc. Under the Hague Convention, an Apostille issued by an authorized entity certifies the authenticity of a U.S. document.

*Please note that we cannot authenticate any academic credentials.

U.S. banks or mutual fund companies often require signature guarantees. Unfortunately, we cannot legally perform a signature guarantee. Please check with your bank or stock company, here or in the U.S., for additional information.