Lost/Stolen, Damaged or Amending Passports

If your passport is lost or stolen, you are advised to report the loss/theft to the local Montenegrin police in the area in which it occurred. We recommend that you submit your application for a replacement passport as soon as possible after the loss or theft is discovered.

To report the loss/theft of a U.S. passport and apply for a new passport please follow the instructions below.

  • You must apply in person
  • Present proof of U.S. citizenship
  • Present one valid proof of ID
  • Provide two color photos, sized 2″ x 2″ (or 5 cm x 5 cm), taken within the last six months, full face, front view with a plain white background
  • Complete form DS-11, Application for a U.S. passport
  • Complete form DS-64, Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport
  • Please see current Consular Fees and methods of payment

Please note: Passports reported lost or stolen by telephone or by submitting Form DS-64 are invalidated and can no longer be used for travel. The information you provide on Form DS-64: Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport will be entered in our Consular Lost/Stolen Passport System. Once a passport is reported lost or stolen, it cannot be re-validated. If you recover the passport after you have reported it lost or stolen, please submit it to the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

In order for us to best serve you, please send an e-mail to PodgoricaACS@state.gov for additional information or to schedule an appointment.