Boarding Foil

Boarding Foil Request


Lawful permanent residents (LPRs), including conditional lawful permanent residents, who have been absent from the United States for less than one year are required to present a valid Form I-551 (Permanent Resident Card), when seeking to board a vessel or aircraft destined to the United States.

Lawful permanent residents (LPRs) who are in possession of a valid Reentry Permit Travel Document (Form I-327) may present this document in lieu of the Form I-551 for return travel to the United States.

If an LPR is not in possession of a valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card (“green card”), or a valid reentry permit travel document, the transportation carrier may refuse to board him or her.  This is due to the fact that a transportation carrier may be subjected to penalties if it allows the individual to travel to the United States.

Please Note:
 If you are in possession of an expired Permanent Resident Card (I-551) as shown on our PRC sample page, the airlines may allow you to board without penalty provided the card was issued with a 10-year expiration date.
Therefore you should check with your airline and border crossing authorities before requesting a Boarding Foil.

Procedures for Issuance of the Boarding Foil

Lawful permanent residents requiring a Boarding Foil for a lost, stolen, misplaced or expired permanent resident card will need to email us a request to .   Please note that travel document you are applying for is single entry and valid for one month only.  In case you have one, you are required to have your permanent resident card in your possession at all times and that you must file an application for a replacement card (Form I-90) with USCIS immediately upon return to the United States.

Information we need to schedule you an appointment

Please email our office at  with all the following details:

  • Name and date of birth of Lawful Permanent Resident
  • Date of last departure from United States (please spell out the month)
  • A- number (this has 9 digits, for example: A000 000 000)
  • Reason for Transportation Letter:ExpiredLostStolen or Other (see below)
  • Date of your planned return flight to the United States (please spell out month)


Please bring with you I-131 A form stating mandatory U.S. residence address, valid passport, driver’s license, or any other U.S. Government-issued photo I.D.,  I-551 or if lost or stolen, please present a police report.

Additionally, it is necessary to bring  boarding passes from last departure from the States, one photo in accordance with visa standards, and fee receipt of payment made through the USCIS online payment system (ELIS).   Applicants will be able to print a receipt from the USCIS online payment system, and will also receive a receipt by email.  Applicants will need their A (Alien) number in order to pay the fee, which they may obtain from the nearest USCIS office.